Steve «Dusty» Sanderfer
Managing Attorney, Personal Injury
Steve Sanderfer is our Managing Attorney in our Pre-Litigation Department. He is also a former Captain in the United States Army currently hold the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Texas State Guard.
LTC Sanderfer aggressively represents personal injury plaintiffs in state courts throughout Texas. He is involved in cases primarily involving personal injury; however, LTC Sanderfer has experience in handling criminal and family cases. He is admitted to practice in the State of Texas, U.S. District Court- Northern District of Texas, U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Texas, U.S. District Court- Western District of Texas, and U.S. District Court- Southern District of Texas He is an inactive member of the Michigan Bar.
LTC Sanderfer obtained his Bachelor of Science in Public Relations from the University of Texas at Austin in 1982 while being a full time student and working a full time job. After graduation, LTC Sanderfer spent time in Honduras teaching elementary school. He returned to the United States in 1986 and attended The Thomas Cooley Law School in Lansing, Michigan, acquiring his Juris Doctor in 1989. What made this impressive was that he attended law school full-time while working a full-time job in the 4th Judicial Circuit Court in Jackson, Michigan as a bailiff/law clerk, and, in his last semester, an additional part-time job teaching classes at the local junior college.
Almost immediately after being sworn in the Bar on June 1, 1990, LTC Sanderfer was sworn in to the United States Army as a First Lieutenant. He served six years active duty in the Judge Advocate General’s Corp where he served as a prosecutor and criminal defense attorney. Furthermore, he held a position in Honduras where he was the legal liaison between the Military and American Embassy in Honduras. While stationed in Honduras, LTC Sanderfer was nominated as for the honor of being the Best Young Attorney in the United States Military.
LTC Sanderfer left active duty in 1996 as a Captain, but remained in the Army Reserves for another two years. He later was commissioned as an officer into the Texas State Guard where he holds his current rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
In 1999, LTC Sanderfer was elected to the city council in the City of Lancaster, Texas, where he served three terms. In 2000, LTC Sanderfer was voted «Best Elected Official in the Best Southwest», which included Lancaster, De Soto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill and Midlothian, Texas.
After moving to Dallas in 2002, LTC Sanderfer was appointed acting chairman for the City of Dallas Civil Service Board by Mayor Laura Miller. LTC Sanderfer has also served on the Board of Directors for the Oak Cliff Chamber of Commerce.
In his free time, LTC Sanderfer enjoys reading, writing music, singing, and being involved in church. LTC Sanderfer has performed professionally and has won honors for his singing and songwriting.
Most of all, however, LTC Sanderfer enjoys spending time with his family. His family consists of his wife Susan, his sons Joshua and Matthew, his daughters Ashley and Brittany, his granddaughters Kaliope and Chloe, and their five dogs.
Areas of Practice
- General Personal Injury Claims
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- DWI Victims
- Premises Liability
- Insurance Claims
- Wrongful Death
- State of Michigan-1990 (Inactive)
- State Bar of Texas – 1995
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- Juris Doctor, The Thomas Cooley Law School, 1990
- Bachelor of Science, The University of Texas, 1982
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Texas State Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas County Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas, Computer and Technology Section
- American Bar Association
- St. Thomas More Society
Other Associations and Memberships
- American Legion
- Disabled American Veterans
- Knights of Columbus- 4th Degree
- A disputed liability case where the client, Hussein Daad, injured his hand. Mr. Sanderfer was able to negotiate a settlement for client in the value of $112,500.
- A slip and fall cases in Wal-Mart where the client, Mara Gauna’s, cases was dropped by a pervious attorney from another law firm. Mr. Sanderfer was able to successfully negotiate a settlement for $30,000.
- A case in which the client, Thu Tran, was faulted by both a police report and a witness. Mr. Sanderfer was able to assertively represent his client, resulting in a favorable trial.
- A slip and fall cases in Wal-Mart where the client, Loose Navarro’s, cases was dropped by a pervious attorney from another law firm. Mr. Sanderfer was able to successfully negotiate a settlement for $35,000.
- Another slip and fall case that was turned down by another firm, Mr. Sanderfer was able a settlement of $90,000.00.
- In addition, LTC Sanderfer has had many notable cases and trial victories over the past 23 years in the US Army and as a civilian.